Friday, December 10, 2010

Shepherding

I have been pondering shepherding and leadership lately. As a teacher, it is my job to equip the little ones entrusted to me. I have learned, however, these past few years that being a teacher and a leader is more about shepherding than instructing.

Shepherds set boundaries for their sheep to keep them from harm not to be mean and keep them from fun. In fact I think some of the best Shepherds can probably laugh with their flock and have a good ol time!

Shepherds gently lead their flock away from danger zones. They are firm but gentle not harsh and condemning.

Shepherds work to grow their flock, focusing on building up their gifts and talents not tearing them down.

Two quotes our pastor recently shared with us have really challenged and encouraged me in both my teaching and leadership roles.

“As a leader my responsibility is not only to live each day to fulfill my purpose, but also lead those God has sent me in fulfilling theirs.”

“Your job as a leader isn't to be the smartest person in the room. It's to make everyone else feel THEY are...” Phil Cooke

I am learning as a teacher and a leader my job is more about cultivating the gifts and talents inside each person entrusted to me than forcing my thoughts and opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment